Thursday, June 27, 2013

New Pieces - Edge Location

I am working on a video, which I hope will be ready to post tomorrow, but in the meantime I thought I'd give you a quick look at some new work.  I delivered what felt like a truckload of art to VTica on Tuesday for the upcoming show, Journey Into Process (scroll to bottom of the page for info).  The show opens on Friday, July 1, and I will have it up in a gallery on my web site as well.

Here are two new pieces that are in the show:

Edge Location #3, acrylic, graphite on wood panel, 12"x12", $375
 Buy a print here.

Edge Location #4, acrylic, ink, graphite on wood panel, 12"x12", $375
 Buy a print here.
 I am calling the series "Edge Location", though you have seen #1 and #2 as "Fresh Paint" pieces.  The series began as an exploration of atmosphere and depth against hard straight edges.  So for a title, I brainstormed the word edge, and came up in a Google search, with the term "edge location".  I love the sound of those words together, but still can't quite understand what the term means.  In the context of digital imaging, it has something to do with "sub-pixel values"; in the context of web services it appears to mean the location of data centers, where all that cyber material is located.  If anyone can shed light on the term "edge location", please comment!

What appeals to me about this mysterious or ambiguous meaning is how I think of edges in terms of tides and horizons: the edge of the ocean - both at the land and the sky -  is ambiguous, unfixed, in constant flux, and elusive.  On a map, a continent simply ends somewhere - but On Location, at the edge of the ocean, the shore line and the horizon are constantly changing.  I just LOVE that.  It is not a profound idea, but the term "edge location", whatever it means in the digital and cyber worlds,  got me thinking about the elusive nature of edges.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Enjoy the show at VTica and give Abby a hug for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be there opening night to see your art in person! I am quite excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very strong pieces and love the exhibit title. Good luck with the show.
    Stay inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pieces. Those little areas of red give them such a zing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pieces are fabulous - and I mean it. But I enjoyed reading your thoughts on edge location just as much as I enjoyed looking at the art. It all comes together and makes such perfect sense! I'll be thinking about that all day today, and thanking you for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous paintings!!! There is just so much depth and layering! The small touch of red is my favorite part :) Love how you came up with your title for the series too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edges like borders are where all the action is! Interchange, trading, engines of growth, information carriers (cellular automata). I have been thinking a lot about borders, boundaries and edges--you are inspiring me to dig deeper!

    ReplyDelete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!