Thursday, March 21, 2013

A Quickie on 4x4's

I was feeling a bit uninspired in the studio the other day, and started using my finger to apply thick white paint  to some of the 4"x4" pieces that had been in limbo.  Then I scribbled with graphite into the wet paint.  Futzed around with a few more things, then gave it up as an uninspired studio day and went back to the "office" (my laptop).  Came in this morning and LOOK!  The white paint CRACKLED!  I scanned these at high resolution so you can see the crackle. 





The paint is Blick's Studio Acrylics, titanium white.
Graphite is Lyra, 9B; I use both water soluble and non-water soluble.
4"x4"x400 Project is described here.
To join in and post your own 4"x4" pieces, or just for inspiration, see the Flickr Group.

10 comments:

  1. Last fall I took a workshop from a teacher who highly recommended Kroma Crackle. Check out their site for some neat pix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is the best kind of surprise! Especially on an uninspired day. Love the effect and, as always, am thoroughly inspired by your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's kind of cool. I shy away from crackle products - though I did look at the Kroma Crackle site, THANKS! - because they take forever to dry. Now I may start to experiment a bit more, try a few products. I just don't like the texture to SCREAM: I Am A CRACKLE PRODUCE! But it does make such a cool texture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a happy accident! As always Jane, great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting. Do you think it had anything to do with the temperature in the studio overnight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah. More like the quality of the paint. It's Blick's inexpensive "studio" grade. I'm always looking for cheap white acrylic for my Big Fat Art process. This one is very opaque, and has a nice thick consistency.

      Delete
  6. Don't you love it when your art surprises you? Great effects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too wondered if the effect was due to low temperature. It happened once to hard ground on an etching plate of mine. It added something magical and unrepeatable to the etching!
    I love the freedom of the marks you make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's it. My studio is very cold when I'm not in it, in the winter. I'll try the same thing in the house.

      Delete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!